getback™ is a spinal rehabilitation programme focused on restoring normal function in patients impacted by back or neck pain. Exercise devices designed by Biomechanists and Exercise Scientists target the deep spinal muscles to stabilise the spine, increase mobility and strength, and reduce pain.
The getback story began over 30 years ago when founders Emeritus Professor John Carlson and Geoffrey Mackay became immersed in searching for an effective back pain treatment.
Working with athletes and other patients, they experienced first-hand the impacts of back pain on everyday wellbeing and performance. Alarmed at the scale of the problem, John and Geoffrey turned their energies towards developing an effective treatment.
Their search took them around the globe examining the research and equipment to treat back pain.
After experimenting with various treatments, they developed the getback programme in partnership with Finnish healthcare technology provider, David Health Solutions.
Over 4500 patients have now completed the getback programme. Clients include Coles, the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and Cricket Victoria.
getback™ is now developing a national network of clinics in physiotherapy practices to treat back and neck pain.
Director of Clinical Practice
BApp Sci (Human Performance)
& B App Sci (Physiotherapy)
Co-founder of getback™, Consultant to Australian National Sporting Teams, Accredited National Coach
Geoffrey Mackay has over 20 years of experience working with elite athletes and researching and developing the most effective treatment for lower back and neck pain.
• 30+ years working as a Clinical Physiotherapist
• 20 years of experience working with elite athletes
• Awarded the Australian Sports Medal in 2000 for his services to international sport
• Working with the Australian Cricket team
• Worked with the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS)
• Worked with the Australian Olympic Team and the Australian Commonwealth Games team.
• Worked with Australian tennis for 14 years
• Contributed at a national level across cycling, squash, modern pentathlon and Australian rules football.
Director of Research
Dip PE (Melb), BSc (Alberta)
Co-founder of getback™, Emeritus Professor, Victoria University,
Institute for Sport, Exercise and Active Living (ISEAL), Former Director of the Victoria University Research Centre for Exercise Rehabilitation, Sport and Exercise Science
Professor John Carlson has published over 100 refereed journal papers and book chapters and been awarded in excess of $8.75 million in grants for research in exercise and sport science and exercise rehabilitation. John served for an extended time as an external advisory consultant to the Australian and Victorian Institutes of Sport.
• Over 30 years working in Sport and Exercise Science at Victoria University
• Worked with Australian national sporting teams including track cycling, hockey, tennis, badminton, water skiing, modern pentathlon, triathlon, AFL clubs (Collingwood, St Kilda, Essendon and the Western Bulldogs), Melbourne Storm in the NRL; and the Melbourne Tigers Basketball
• External advisory consultant to the Australian and Victorian Institutes of Sport.
The getback treatment programme undergoes a continuous cycle of improvement and benchmarking. We instantly share assessments and results between getback clinics via a centralised database. All of the getback devices are computerised and every movement during your treatment is measured for strength and flexibility. All the data is recorded so your Exercise Physiologist can measure your improvement and adjust treatment as required.
When you step inside a getback clinic you enter a safe, highly trained and motivated environment designed to create the best treatment for your unique condition. We bring together the latest evidence-based methods for treating back pain, with the highest levels of patient care and professional supervision by Exercise Physiologists and Physiotherapists.
In consultation with our patients, we design individual treatment programmes based on results from your Initial Consultation. During treatment you will get immediate, on-screen feedback showing how muscle strength and flexibility is improving. It’s highly motivating for patients to get this level of feedback and quantifiable results.
It is very rewarding for patients and staff to say the least!